Yesterday I had another extremely successful macro party and prior to that I came across a recipe for a homemade poptart. I decided to try it out and present it at my macro party and it was enjoyed by everyone! There's a couple small tweaks that I'm going to play around with and I think I'm going to add it as a delicious option to my weekly meal prep that I offer for clients. This is the basic recipe that I used to make these homemade poptarts:
1/2 scoop (about 2 tbsp) protein powder
1/2 tbsp coconut flour
3-4 tbsp water or unsweetened almond milk
1 tortilla of choice
Toppings of choice
Sprinkles…. these are always a must
1. Mix protein powder, coconut flour, and water until you have a thick smooth consistency
2. Spread mixture in the center of the tortilla in the shape of a square or rectangle
3. Add additional fillings if desired (sliced fruit and/or peanut butter work well also)
4. Fold one side over mixture, fold the opposite side over that to overlap, then fold in the remaining two sides until you have a nicely sealed “package”
5. Cook pop tart in a pre heated skillet or panini press until golden brown and crisp
6. Top as desired… and don’t forget the sprinkles!
I want to find a tortilla that is lower in carbs to bring down the overall macros in these. My recipe for the vanilla cupcake flavour was:
1 Rudi's spelt tortilla
25g whey protein
5g spelt flour
Pinch of baking powder
Sprinkles on top
Macros worked out to be: P22 C22 F4, but I think I can play around with that carb number next time. I also made a chocolate peanut butter flavour with chocolate protein powder and PB2 on the top.
Let me know if you try this out and what your recipe was! I'm sure so many people will have so many different options for this as well, it just depends on what you want your macros to be!